Friday, June 25, 2010

Sin on a plate. {a.k.a. Cinnamon Rolls}

Yes, I know that it's like a gagillion degrees outside, and the last thing you really want to do is turn on your oven.  But trust me when I tell you that one little bite of these pretties will make turning your kitchen into a furnace completely worth it.  So, let's get started, shall we?

The players.  You've got your usual baker's essentials here.  Oil, yeast, salt.  Eggs, sugar, cinnamon.  Flour, brown sugar, powdered milk, and warm water.  Yep, I think that's everything except the kitchen sink.

Add the yeast to the warm water.  You want it very warm, almost hot.  If your water is too cold, the yeast won't activate.  Also, if it's too hot, it will kill the yeast.  115 degrees is about right.

Add 1 Tbsp of sugar.  It helps the yeast to "do it's thang"

Mix, and let sit for a few minutes to activate.  When it's all bubbly and foamy, then you are ready to roll!

Add the powdered milk

the eggs

salt

the sugar

and the oil.

Then give some attention to your baby who has been playing blissfully on the floor for the past 10 minutes.

Okay.  Back to work.  Give it a good spin and mix well.

Next, add the flour one cup at a time.

Mixing well after each addition.

When all of the flour has been mixed, the dough should be soft, and pliable.  It should spring back when pulled on, almost elasticky...is that a word?  No?  Oh, well.  But your dough should not be sticky...I repeat, it should not stick all over your fingers.  All dough should be cleaned from the sides of the bowl.  These are all great indicators that your dough is just right.  It will take some time and practice to know how your dough should feel and look.  Just keep at it!

Add a small amount of oil to the bottom of your bowl.

Give the dough a good spin, covering all sides of the dough.

Should look like this

Cover and let rise for about 90 minutes

Or until doubled in size

Now the fun part begins...the ooey, gooey filling.  Totally my favorite part.
The players: sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter
{Because...Buttah' makes everything bettah'}

Melt the butter and add the sugars and cinnamon.  Mix together to form a thick chocolatey looking paste.

Spray 9x13 pans with Pam

Punch down the dough {smash it with all your might} and place on a well floured surface

And roll, roll, roll, baby!  Roll the dough into a large rectangle about 1/4 inch thick

Spread the filling out all over the dough

Then give it to one of your children to "clean"

Roll up tight lengthwise
{the middle is always huge...but that just means large cinnamon rolls...yeah, baby!}

Some people use a serrated knife to cut their rolls, I use Dental Floss.  Best tool ever, I'm telling ya!  Just slide the floss under the rolls, criss-cross over the top and pull on either end.  Clean cut every time, and so much faster than using a knife.  Try it, you'll like it!

Place your rolls into greased pans and let rise in a warm spot for 45 minutes.  I always place mine on the oven while it's warming.  The heat will help them rise well.

Bake @350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until tops are nice and golden.  I do not like an overcooked cinnamon roll.  I want them all soft and gooey with the tops just barely golden.  Cook them to your liking, just don't offer me a burned one!

It's business time!  Frosting.  But not just any frosting will do for me.  I'm a Cream Cheese Frosting gal, all the way!  Feel free to use whatever you and your family like best.
The players: cream cheese {obviously} butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk {I forgot to picture the milk...I'm new at this, give me time...}

Cream the butter and cream cheese until nice and smooth.  Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk all at once.  Mix well, until you have a delicious creamy concoction that you want to dive into with a large spoon....Oh, sorry, I was just thinking out loud wasn't I?

Frost those puppies and enjoy!  But not before giving yourself a hearty pat on the back because you just made Cinnamon Rolls from scratch, sista!  Woo-hoo!!

But make sure that you wrap at least half of these up and send them off to someone you love, otherwise you will eat them all.  And you will hate yourself.  And your thighs will too.  Maybe I'm speaking from experience...maybe I'm not.  Okay, I totally am!

Here's a handy dandy recipe in it's complete form just for you.

Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
{makes 2 dozen}

1 3/4 cups warm water
1 Tbsp instant yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup powdered milk
2 eggs
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
6 cups all purpose flour

Dissolve yeast and 1 Tbsp sugar in warm water.  When it bubbles up, add powdered milk, eggs, salt, sugar, and oil.  Then add flour 1 cup at a time and mix well until dough is cleaned from the sides of the bowl, and is soft and pliable like elastic.  Put a small amount of oil into the bowl and roll the dough around until is lightly coated all over.  Cover and let rise until double {90 minutes}  Punch down dough, and place it on a floured surface.  Roll out into a large rectangle about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

Filling:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon
Melt butter, and add sugars and cinnamon.  Mix well.

Spread filling all over your dough and roll up tight lengthwise.  Cut rolls into 1 1/2 inch sections, using dental floss, then place in greased 9x13 pans.  Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Frost while warm.

Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1/3 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1-2 tsp milk
Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.  Add powdered sugar, vanilla and milk and mix until creamy.

17 comments:

Tiffany Fackrell said...

Mixing the sugar, cinnamon, butter concoction together might just be pure genious. I have never seen it done that way. Lot of tips to try. I have never made cinnamon rolls but this makes me want to really make some now. Do you like your bosch? My hubby has been wanting to get me a kitchen aid, do you prefer one over the other? can you grind wheat with your bosch? apparently the kitchen aid has a wheat grinder attachment...so David tells me!

tharker said...

Well, I can't take credit for the mixing of all the filling ingredients, but it is the best way to do it, in my opinion ;) Makes for a super gooey filling.

I LOVE my Bosch. I had a Kitchenaid before I got this, and I also really liked it. My problem was that I wanted to do heavy duty breads, and my Kitchenaid was just too small. (I had one of the smaller ones. You can definitely do this recipe in a larger Kitchenaid)

I've had my Bosch for 6 years and have never had a problem with it. It doesn't grind wheat, but I have a Nutrimill wheat grinder. If you ever want to grind wheat, just give me a call!

Yes, make them! Only problem is that you'll be hooked. They're like crack. Once you start, you can't quit ;)

::lindsay said...

Love your cinnamon rolls. They are the best! Every time I make them people think I'm a baking genius!!!

P.S. Yes, you'll need to upload the videos to YouTube and then put them on the blog...

Emily said...

I LOVE your cinnamon roll recipe! I make them all the time. You are an amazing cook and I'm so excited you are doing this blog and sharing your gift. Thanks!

chchoo said...

Mmmmm. They look so good. I'll be right over to eat all your leftovers...

Reba said...

mmmm I'm glad you put a picture of your proofed dough. Now if only there were a touch thing on the screen.

Sarah said...

Can't wait to try your recipe out!

Ginger said...

Alright Tiffani, I am not much of a baker but I know my husband would LOVE me to make him some cinnamon rolls. Here's the thing, I do not have a mixer. Do I absolutely need one to make these?

tharker said...

Ginger,
No you don't need a mixer at all. You can do it all by hand...though you arm will get tired, but it will still turn out great! Give it a try!!

Ginger said...

I will give it a try. I made a deal with Ray that if we work out together for 1 month I will make him cinnamon rolls. We are gong to lose some weight so we can fatten back up with delicious cinnamon rolls!! I can't wait!

erin said...

I remember when you gave me this recipe forever ago. I looked at it and thought(or maybe said) "i'll just wait til you make them again" LOL But now with your pictures and step by step guide I think I am finally going to make these! I am soo excited :)

Brooklet said...

mmmmm, those are seriously sinful. So good.

Amy J said...

Made these last night and thanks to you, I am a VERY popular mommy!!! They LOVE me! I am loving your blog, Girl!

Anonymous said...

These made me "the best cinnamon roll maker ever" last week. They are delish...and they actually turned out (which wasn't the case for 3 batches of pumpkin bread I was trying to make that day, too!)

I will be making them again for a craft night I have this week. THANK YOU!

tharker said...

So happy to hear it, Marcy!!!

www.StarHughes.com said...

My gosh these look delicious! I am so excited to make these! One of my summer goals is to make an entirely from scratch, very gourmet breakfast... if I make this combined with the orange rolls and maybe some eggs, I'll be set!!!
Star Hughes Living

Anonymous said...

This article takes a look into etching, engraving and screen Stickers Labels Custom.

Labeling certain products such as these. Bamboo flooring tiles give the room a medium
gray tone.

Here is my site :: buy stickers