Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread


Nothing tastes more like fall to me than pumpkin.  If I could, I would put it in everything this time of year.  Okay, maybe not everything...  This recipe comes from my mother in law and is one of my all time favorites.  It is moist and oh, so delicious.  Her recipe doesn't call for chocolate chips, but I say the only thing that could improve pumpkin would be chocolate, so I add away!  You do what you like.


Pumpkin Bread
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
3 1/3 cups flour
2 cups pumpkin puree {1 small can}
1 cup nuts {optional}
1 cup chocolate chips {required} {just kidding}

Mix together sugar and oil until well blended.  Add eggs and water.  Sift in dry ingredients, then add the pumpkin, nuts and chocolate chips. {i don't add the nuts}  Pour into three *well* greased bread pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out almost clean.

:: notes from my kitchen ::
make sure your pans are very well greased, this bread tends to stick

this recipe also works very well as a bundt cake.  make as directed, and pour it into a buttered and floured bundt pan